Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Whole New World









Well, well, well. Here I am, living in Icheon South Korea. I'm not visiting, I'm not temporarily staying; no, no, this is where I reside. It's slowly but surely occurring to me that I have an address that takes up the entire vertical measurement of a regular sized envelope and ends in South Korea. The journey to get here has been an exhausting one but has proven to be worth the anxiety, panic attacks, and GERD symptoms (refer to picture 1 above then Google it) that I experienced prior to my departure. For the sake of my 6 faithful readers (Hi family and Red), my own selfish desires to create a paper trail of this experience and my embarrassingly bad memory that will create severe frustration when trying to recall this whole thing 5 years down the road, I will retell my journey from moment of take-off to the present. So go grab some Kimchi, turn on that rice cooker, polish up those chop sticks, leave your shoes at the door and be sure to take toilet paper with you when you go to the restroom because you KNOW there won't be any there. Oh. Wait. I think that last part is only applicable to me. Anyway. Kick back and enjoy my journey thus far.

September 29: D-Day for my mother but Easter for me. (I chose Easter to align the symbolism of new life and accomplishing something great. While it's not as legit as rising from the dead, accomplishing a long-time dream is pretty remarkable if you ask me. Plus I like bright colors and little baby chickens.) I had been preparing myself for this day for many years. It was just a year ago in the summer of 2009 when I was in Korea for a short month and the idea of waiting 365+ days to return felt like an eternity. Moreover, knowing that I still had to complete my undergraduate degree and make it through student teaching and earn enough money for a plane ticket was somewhat discouraging, as I didn't want to go home after English Camp in Korea. However, the days did pass and before I knew it it was time to leave. I had all my documents in my backpack that I had worked so very hard to obtain; well, aside from my college diploma. I was leaving the country without having it yet, which is very uncommon but had managed to sneak my way around the system. I had books to read, my Asia Travel Guide, and of course my iPod. At 4:30 am, my family and I packed up the van with all of my luggage. My mom faithfully helped me pack and we managed to weed through my overabundance of clothes and I settled for limiting myself to my dad's Army duffel bag, my LARGE suitcase that weights 15 pounds when empty, a small suitcase that was supposed to be a carry-on but became too full, my purse, and my backpack. When we arrived at the airport at 5:30 am (the plane was scheduled to leave at 7:47 am) I checked my luggage. The LARGE suitcase weighed 97 lbs (limit is 99 lbs), and the others were under the weight limit, which avoided an over-weight charge. The total price for all of the luggage was $400. Nope, no typing error. Four. Hundred. Dollar$.

I sat in the airport with my family for a few minutes before going through security. In the few weeks leading up to September 29, I had really tried to take in every moment I could--the drives to work, the nights spent with friends (refer to picture 2 above), the Sunday lunches with family; I really aimed at making those moments memorable and as I sat in the airport and watched the people come and go it was certainly another one of those moments. I would not see my local airport for many days thereafter nor would I be able to see my family in person for a long time. There wasn't much to say until it was time to go. The hugs ensued, the tears flowed and words of endearment were exchanged. I managed to get in my last hugs before going through security. I had only a little bit of time before my plane boarded and it had not yet hit me that I was actually moving to Korea to begin my career, my life dream.

I flew into San Fransisco and had about a 3.5 hour layover. I had planned it that way as I did not want to be rushed or stressed. I spent that time walking around, talking to my amazing friend Justin and simply relaxing. It went by rather fast and was actually pretty paranoid the entire time that I would miss my flight or that I had misread by flight time but after looking at my reservation multiple times, I had to trust that it would all work out. After all it had worked out up to this point so that I could even have a job in Korea. I had faced two denials and had felt that I would not be teaching English this year. However, the stars did align and I would soon be teaching 5/6th grade at Shinha Elementary School. I got on the Boeing 777 flight to Incheon, South Korea. Such large planes are set up in a way where there are 10 seats across--3 seats then isle then 4 seats then isle then 3 seats. My seat was reserved in the right grouping of seats, middle seat....by the wing. Dang it. I took a deep breath of air and slowly released it, as I had rehearsed with my mom. The culmination of nerves, anxiety, excitement, and disbelief put sweat on my palms and butterflies in my stomach. I continued to breath deeply and slowly so that I might find relaxation and comfort for my 12 hour flight to the Eastern world.

During the flight, (refer to picture 3 above) I finally fell victim to the Eclipse spell (and am still nursing the wound on my neck) and watched the first and second movies of the succulent vampire serious. (Team Jacob) I managed to fall in and out of slumber though never enough to feel well-rested. The meals were delicious but awkwardly timed. I listened to some Korean pop music, watched a few episodes of Glee then the Office. I started to watch the Karate Kid but was unable to finish because by that time, it was time to land. We were scheduled to arrive at 6:45 pm but touched down at 6 pm. Nice. I filled out those confusing immigration papers as best as I could and eventually exited the plane.

I followed the crowd to immigration and waited in a very short line that kept me waiting a mere 15 minutes. I was very lucky because this process usually takes an hour or so. I made it through customs just fine and was then left to figure out where to pick up my luggage. Most signs in Korea are written in both Hangul and English and an international airport was no exception. I found the luggage claim area then walked quite a ways to find my specific claim spot. As I walked up to it, I saw my first LARGE bag going around. I pulled it off and waited a couple more minutes for my other two to come around. Excellent. So far so good. I put all of my belongings on a cart (which are free) and made my way towards the exit. I was told that there would be someone at the airport to pick me up. I had no idea where he would be or where to go to meet him. I just kept walking until I walked through large sliding doors which exposed the crowd of people who were waiting for their loved ones. I was the only Western face in the crowd at that point and figured I wouldn't be hard to spot. I look around and didn't see a sign immediately but later saw one that read, "Quinlin Odonelle Welcome to Korea" He was waving me down and so we were off.

I was put in a van with my luggage and taken away. I had no idea how long the drive would be, though I was expecting a duration of about 2 hours. Many things were running through my mind at that point like I wonder what my apartment looks like. However, I would not be able to find out for a few days because it was not yet available for me. In the mean time, I would stay with the other American teacher from my school and this too had me a bit anxious. We had been e-mailing back and forth prior to my arrival but the initial meet is always nerve-wrecking not to mention my personal hygiene was that of a person who had been traveling aaallll day. We arrived at her apartment around 9:30, a couple hours earlier than what she was expecting. My boss was there to greet me and together West and I carried my luggage up the three flights of stairs. She shot a few jokes my way about how much I had brought and is still on the jokes list to this day. I felt prepared...$400 worth prepared. We managed to find a spot for all of my belongings and she gave me the 360 degree tour--I turned a full 360 degrees from one central location to get the tour. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was and she had created an environment that was aesthetically appealing and emotionally relaxing. We stayed up a bit and talked for a while but she had work in the morning so we slipped into slumber a couple hours later.

The next morning she awoke and left for school while I slept in but only until 9 am. I was anxious to get up and explore but was limited because I had no idea where I was and was told to be ready to go at 12:45, which is when she would come back to get me and take me to school so that I could watch Sports Day at Shina Elementary. I killed some time on Facebook, wrote a couple e-mails and then got ready. After West came to get me, we stopped at a little place to get some food and took it with us to the school. It was Sports Day that day, which is where the students partake in a multitude of activities including sprints, races, dances, and showcases. I watched all of the girls perform a beautiful traditional fan dance that was extremely well-orchestrated and meticulously rehearsed. West and I giggled at the thought of what it would be like it try to teach about 200 American kids to do what they did. We laughed, shook our heads, and looked off into the distance with a sigh that could obviously be interpreted as "yeah right". The boys then did their traditional dance and we both watched in pure amazement. It was a gorgeous sunny day (which is hard to come by in Korea during the Fall) and adorable Korean children were all around with their proud families that came out to support them. We then watched different races and such. West then took me up to the English room and showed me the desk that I could call my own. It was a moment for me--having my own work desk and seeing the classroom. She said, "I'll give you a moment" and left the room. It was appreciated.

Later that night we went out for dinner with the teachers at a traditional Korean restaurant. We sat on the floor and ate amazing pork that we cook ourselves. The food was great while the company was a bit awkward. We attempted to talk to some of the Korean teachers but found a clear language barrier. West and I sat talking until we were the last ones there. I had so much to learn from this woman and she was more than happy to share.

We returned to her apartment that night and had a few drinks and shared in great conversation in an attempt to better understand one another as people as well as co-workers. I still can't imagine how different my experience would have been had I not had West. She was a true breath of fresh air.

The next day was Saturday and I was finally able to move into my own apartment. However, when I say move I mean put my stuff in it because before I could move into it, I had to clean it. The American teacher before me that lived in that apartment had left it in an unbelievably containment state that required 18 hours of cleaning from me in order to make int livable. As aggravating as it was to spend my entire Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday cleaning, when it was all said and done and I felt extremely accomplished and currently feel more ownership of that apartment having spent so much time cleaning it. It also motivates me to KEEP it clean. A few days later, I was finally able to unpack my belongings in an attempt to make this place feel like home. I hung pictures, spread open my Mizzou blanket, and strategically placed the few items I had brought around the room. The smell of the room was still one of mold and mildew and the energy of the room was still not my own. It was going to take some time but at least it was a place to stay...a place to call my own. (pictures are coming later)

On Monday, I had my first day of work. I was introduced to my Korean Co-teacher, showed around the school, and given a rough sketch of what would be expected of me. I would be teaching a regular class, an after school class, a parent's class, and a teacher's class. My day starts at 8:30 am and goes until 4:45 pm. I observed West and her co-teacher then gave a "get to know me" lesson to my after school class. I observed and watched for the first couple of days then was told to prepare the first lesson plan for Friday. I have access to an abundance of resources but didn't know exactly what they wanted of me. I struggled to write my first lesson plan but found out that it was not what they wanted. Since then, I have figured out how to acclimate my lesson plans to their liking. There are many things I love about Korea and then there are some things that I find myself venting about.

That weekend, West took me into downtown Icheon where I met her group of friends. We had fried chicken (which can be found 3 to a block in Korea. Try to figure that one out.) and beer. We relocated to a different bar after eating where we had a few more drinks. The buses stop running at 10:30 here so we took a taxi ride home. The cost of living here is such a beautiful thing. It's very inexpensive and completely reasonable. Saturday night West and I went out for sushi, which was as good as what I was expecting.


From then, I have been working long hours at school in an attempt to have my lesson plans completed, my materials made for my extra class, and the seemingly unnecessary paper trial completely covered. It's a lot of work but as is every job. I am extremely lucky with where I am and have incredible support around me.

I received a 300,000 won settlement, though later than what I was told I would. I was then reimbursed for my plane ticket and let me say that the exchange rate for Americans right now is AWESOME. I made out with about 100,000 more won than what I paid in dollars. Faaan-tastic. I just got my first paycheck, which came in the form of cash. I don't have a Korean bank account yet because I don't have my ARC (alien registratin card). I was given a temporary cell phone until I can buy my own, which requires an ARC as well. It's pretty old school but I'm just happy to even have one until I can get my own.

I've been slowly but surely figuring out the bus system in Icheon. I always know that I can ask; Koreans are very nice people and will always help you if they can. A good amount of them speak a tiny bit of English so when it's coupled with my broken Korean, we can usually manage. The most difficult thing is usually trying to tell the taxi drivers where to go but I'm figuring that out too.

A pros and cons list of my observations thus far is soon to come.

I'm sure I left many exciting details out and failed to cover my entire experience thus far so feel free to ask questions or demand an elaboration on some point.

It is my goal to update this regularly.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Red!!! I like the update and want more!!! Let's skype/gchat w/voice soon!! Miss you, Love you.

    Red

    ReplyDelete