Sunday, February 13, 2011

Delicious is subjective...


Food in Korea is an experience all of its own. I have personally become accustomed to the food here and actually crave kimchi if it is not in my daily diet. There is quite an array of choices when it comes to traditional Korean food and I have only found one that I don't like....the live octopus. Well, I guess anything that's still alive is still problematic for me. Most things are spicy and all are uniquely delicious. I hope to post more pictures of the food that I eat on a daily basis because food is such a big part of any culture so I would love to share it with those that are unfamiliar to it. Also, Korean food is so different from Western food so it's difficult to describe the looks and taste of it. I think it is all delicious but then again, delicious is subjective...

This past weekend, I met up with a Korean friend of mine to have lunch. We planned on going out for our meal but decided to change things up a bit; we decided to cook! This was really exciting to me because whenever I meet Koreans, they commonly ask me 1-if I have a boyfriend and 2- if I am a good cook. I tell them that "good" is subjective because I think I make a mean kimchi pancake but apparently, that's not up to everyone's standards. So, anyway, I have been wanting to learn how to cook more Korean food and here was my opportunity! So we decided to cook 떡볶이 (ttuk-bogg-ki) for our meal. Well... he cooked, I learned. The recipe calls for rice cakes, fish, traditional spicy Korean red pepper sauce, sugar, water, chili powder and garlic then other things are optional; boiled eggs, noodles and cheese are a popular addition. We added the ladder two items. It was fairly simple and sssooo delicious! I wish I would have taken a picture of the final product but was so hungry and excited to eat that I didn't think about it. Dang. I must get better at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment