Monday, July 5, 2010

A word to the wise (a.k.a. those who simply don't know better)

It has been an extended amount of time since I have last posted. The reason for this can be accredited to multiple different things ranging from time spent at work, to time spent studying. Ah yes, studying. Studying for the PRAXIS (teacher certification exam) test, studying for my final undergraduate class, studying for tests at work. Whatever the reason is for my blog abandonment, I do solemnly swear to maximize my efforts in keeping this 3-person subscriber blog alive and updated. Now, onward.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS VITAL TO ANYONE WHO IS APPLYING TO TEACH ENGLISH (or perhaps any subject area) IN KOREA! I UNDERSTAND IF YOU HAVE TENDENCIES TO SKIM LARGE AMOUNTS OF WRITING BECAUSE I TOO DO THAT BUT THIS IS PERTINENT TO YOUR SUCCESS SO SAVE THE SKIMMING FOR THE MORNING NEWS BECAUSE BP STILL HASN'T CLOGGED THE OIL LEAK. DOES IT SEEM LIKE I'M YELLING RIGHT NOW? right.

Disclaimer: If you have ADHD/ADD do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT admit having it, taking medicine for it, going to therapy for it, or anything else of this nature. My recruiter has informed me that there a stigma exists in Korea against persons who have received any sort of therapy and/or are on medicine for mental stimulus. So, if you come across a question on an application that asks if you have ever been to counseling, LIE! or if you have ever taken medicine LIE! This is very far out of my nature, to advocate untruthful responses on such a document but your success depends on it, friend. If you truly feel that you can't handle teaching over seas than what are you doing applying in the first place??! Thus, I feel it is fair to say that you have made the executive decision for yourself that you are fully capable, willing, and committed to the trials and tribulations that are packed inside the Teaching Overseas Gift Basket (pretty red bow not included). To us, Americans, therapy is encouraged because it makes the implication that you are attempting to better yourself and/or your situation. For Koreans, it means you're messed up, unstable, and can't handle yourself. Now, my confusion deepened when attempting to configure their reasoning behind applying their culture to my culture. I would understand if they typically hired Koreans but THEIR JOB IS TO HIRE AMERICANS! Bitter? naawww... Wouldn't the logical reasoning be to understand that in our culture, therapy is encouraged more or less? The fact that I had completed an English camp in Korea held now weight, nor did my college diploma, nor the fact that I had led an English camp at my University, or the fact that I had just completed my student teaching internship. LIE, LIE, LIE!

I have exchanging e-mails back and forth with my recruiter who has shown great belief and faith in me. I have made my frustration evident to her, only because this is something I've been set on doing for so long now. After a series of e-mails, which were a mixture of my frustration and her relentless determination to find me a job, it was finally mentioned again that I have been to Korea before, I have taught Korean students, and I have graduated college! She was shocked by this (though this information is in my cover letter, my resume, and was discussed in the interview) vowed to never mention the ADHD again if she could speak with someone from my Korean English camp. (on a side note, my recruiter is bogged down with a large quantity of work, as this is a busy hiring time, and it is understandable how I got lost in the shuffle; I still think she is a great and amazing recruiter) I still keep in close contact with my boss from English camp and happily gave her his number. She responded with an apologetic e-mail which stated that she would never bring up my ADHD again to other hiring schools and asked me to do the same. SEE! LIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment